[rdfweb-dev] advocating use of rdf:ID / rdf:about attributes on foaf:Person tags

Libby Miller Libby.Miller at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Aug 19 08:42:56 UTC 2003

hi Jim, Peter

We use the W3C's profile of ISO 8601 in the calendar work:

http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime

except for the slight difference that we do not allow the -0500 etc
construct to represent timezones, as this is not allowed in iCalendar,
on which we based the RDF Calendar work.

In RDF calendar you can have Date or DateTime, but in iCalendar there
are also a bunch of components of datetime like date-month,
date-fullyear: see

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2445.txt

the only reason these are not in the schema is that they have never
appeared in any test data - our schema is generated from testdata:

http://www.w3.org/2002/12/cal/

if we had testcases showing the use of these they could appear in the
schema.

The other possibliity is using the W3C XML schema datatypes, which also
I think include these types of data components. A final complication is
that we realized recently that our timezone handling may require that we
change the way we describe our dataes and times. This is an ongoing
issue....

Essentially, if people really want to use this stuff, we can do some
more work on it in the calendar group; in fact we have a meeting this
week on Wednesday:

http://rdfig.xmlhack.com/2003/07/30/2003-07-30.html
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=20&month=8&year=2003&hour=16&min=0&sec=0&p1=0

bear in mind though that there are many other time ontologies
available...

Libby