[rdfweb-dev] Message routing

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Tue Aug 19 15:19:16 UTC 2003

Jonathan Greensted <jonathan.greensted at sentient.co.uk> wrote:
>I have this vague feeling that we need some kind of messaging mechanism built
>into FOAF.
>
>Consider a scenario where I'm a member of Ecademy and my FOAF data has been
>published to the outside world.  The FOAF file contains my name and my
>mbox_sha1sum.
>
>It would be very handy for someone else to be able to route a message
>to me via
>Ecademy.  This would direct people to Ecademy (good for Ecademy) and keep my
>email address private (good for me).
>
>Is there an existing mechanism to handle/support this or should we spin off
>into the world of Web Services at the point?

Hmmm. More generally: Here's my foaf. It contains no direct means of
contact but it does say that you can send me a message at ID X on
Service Y. Isn't this just a URI? eg
http://www.ecademy.com/account.php?op=view&id=1
http://www.ryze.com/go/jbond
mailto:spamtrapped_public_email at voidstar.com

If this was in FOAF, I think it would be something like
preferredInitialContactPointForPeopleIDontKnow. I feel sure we can think
of something shorter.

As a complete aside, I can feel a lazyweb request coming on. Some
service that allowed an initial contact between parties that don't know
each other; which protected each other's identity from spam, spoofing
and so on; which provided privacy and a measure of anonymity; but
allowed a controlled way to open up to each other. Oh, and it ought to
be de-centralized. Not exactly trivial, then. ;-)

BTW. This just reminded me that putting un-encoded IM addresses into
FOAF is a recipe for spam given that a large percentage of these are
also email addresses.

Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
Webmaster:              http://www.ecademy.com/
Personal WebLog:       http://www.voidstar.com/
M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173   T: +44 (0)192 0412 433