[rdfweb-dev] Message routing

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Wed Aug 20 07:07:09 UTC 2003

Dave Smith <dizzyd at jabber.org> wrote:
>I do think that messaging is out of scope for FOAF

Repeating myself here, a little.

The only part that I can see as being in-scope is some formal way for a
person to say "If you don't know me and absolutely must contact me, use
this". This is the middle ground between "Just publish every contact
point, what are you afraid of" and "I'm drowning in spam and email,
which is why I don't publish any contact info".

Most of the early foaf pioneers appear to be in the first camp of being
completely open so they just put all their email addresses in the file
as plain text. However, there are lots and lots of people out there who
are very protective of their email address but still would really like
incoming contacts just as long as they can filter them somehow.

In the absence of any obvious solutions to this, foaf could still help
with something like
<foaf:preferredContactMethod rdf:resource="URI"/>
where URI might be an email address, IM address or a web page with
instruction.

Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
Webmaster:              http://www.ecademy.com/
Personal WebLog:       http://www.voidstar.com/
M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173   T: +44 (0)192 0412 433