[rdfweb-dev] RDF parser vs. XML parser

Dave Smith dizzyd at jabber.org
Wed Aug 20 17:19:48 UTC 2003

Greetings,

I'm new to the RDF community and admittedly still wrapping my head
around everything. One thing that I'm not following (esp. on Edd
Dumbill's blog) is this distinction between "RDF parsers" and "XML
parsers". Obviously, an XML parser really only deals with syntax, not
semantics. But I've read in a couple of places (again, on Edd's blog --
particularly http://usefulinc.com/edd/blog/2003/8/8#13:13) that XML
"parsers" break when encountering unexpected (or missing) elements. I'm
just not following the logic here, and so suspect that I don't
understand what is expected of an "RDF parser" (or processor).

Of note, we use XML parsers in Jabber and have been able to deal quite
nicely with missing/unexpected elements.

I'm involved w/ the Jabber community and we are in the process of
looking at FOAF/RDF for describing the various entities on our network.
It's quite promising really, but I need to understand how/if a RDF
parser is different from an XML parser. It seems like a RDF parser
would simply be something built on top of an XML parser (at least,
assuming we're using the RDF/XML encoding).

Thanks.

Diz