[rdfweb-dev] RDF all the way on XML.com

Victor Lindesay victor at vicsoft.co.uk
Thu Aug 21 18:53:36 UTC 2003

Wow, two very hot articles on XML.com.

Mark's piece on Atom and RDF (sorry - we failed the audition) and
Kendall's on OWL.

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/08/20/dive.html
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2003/08/20/deviant.html

So Atom is XML with a maintained, normative XSLT port to RDF. Better
than nothing I suppose and most Atom providers will transform on the
server and provide both XML and RDF feeds.

Mark, perceptive chap that he is, drills down to the two reasons why RDF
won't be on Fame Academy next week. Tool support and RDF / XML syntax.
Why don't we as supporters of and believers in RDF address these issues
instead of endless discussion about this FOAF tag or that FOAF tag? I
say this in the belief that FOAF is potentially an important vehicle to
promote the use of RDF.

Getting a decent, searchable forum to replace this archaic mailing list
would be a start. Then a strategy to promote tool development and
practical implementation. And the syntax, is there not a simpler way to
encode RDF triples in XML?

Mark is down on the Semantic Web. Well I never thought of the Semantic
Web as some ethereal, elusive concept dreamt up by some PR brain farter.
To me it is just code; a way to code a bit of 'intelligence' into our
software applications. And OWL, as Kendall reports, is a step towards
this.