[rdfweb-dev] RDF all the way on XML.com

Danny Ayers danny666 at virgilio.it
Thu Aug 21 20:37:04 UTC 2003

A meta-aspect is the way in which RDF is presented. Note the examples Mark
shows, really clean-looking XML, really ugly RDF/XML. But his example of
Atom in RDF is using every vocabulary under the sun; Atom in vanilla XML
using default namespace terms. He could have easily used default ns for the
RDF terms too. Does this make any difference? In implementation - not
really. When influencing people unfamiliar with RDF - a big deal.

It looks like the Atom format is heading towards being a nice tightly
defined XML language (with proper extension mechanism), which'll need a
transform/mapping to get into RDF systems. XSLT is the obvious quick
approach, but I believe Sean B. Palmer's already put together parser ->
ntriples code.

I could personally live with Atom-as-XML, anything to move past the RSS
garbage politics (and markup) history. However, Shelley points [1] to what
she considers a big snag with this - that generic bots won't be able just to
load the RDF transparently into their store. I'd be interested in hearing
what the scuttermongers around here reckon to that angle.

On a positive note, there is a warming towards the RDF model which I don't
think you'd have seen in the pre-FOAF days of yore.

Re. Kendall's piece on OWL - I can only speak for the 'crack-addled' and not
the 'academic naifs', but I liked this piece, a reinforcement that this
stuff is now ready on the table for us to do fun stuff with.

Cheers,
Danny.

[1] http://weblog.burningbird.net/fires/001550.htm