[rdfweb-dev] RDF all the way on XML.com

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Fri Aug 22 10:59:31 UTC 2003

Libby Miller <Libby.Miller at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
>I think the underlying issue is that it's hard to encode a graph in a
>tree syntax, since trees are a subset of graphs and not the other way
>around.

In the real world, how much RDF is there out there that is encoding a
full graph that couldn't be expressed as an XML tree?

I know it's a half way house and not a general solution, but writing
RDF-XML so that it looks like a normal XML tree let's people use XML
tree tools to interpret it. As far as I can see this has no downside for
people using RDF tools to interpret it. The downside is that data that
really does need a graph layout will confuse all those people who never
made the jump to a real RDF tool. And it'll lead to another crop of
people who don't understand.

Going back to Atom, I don't really see the problem with mixing in RDF
constructs (like FOAF) as long as the end result is an XML tree. But
then that probably means I don't fully understand the issues.

Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
Webmaster:              http://www.ecademy.com/
Personal WebLog:       http://www.voidstar.com/
M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173   T: +44 (0)192 0412 433