[rdfweb-dev] RDF all the way on XML.com

Danny Ayers danny666 at virgilio.it
Sun Aug 24 08:03:54 UTC 2003

> I am less keen on a syntactic profile of RDF for FOAF, since it will
> make things a lot harder from the RDF side of the fence: instead of just
> writing out RDF/XML with an off-the-shelf RDF serializer, we would need
> custom serializers that knew the FOAF-specific rules. This could get
> quite fiddly if extensions were being used. I believe folk have had
> similar frustrations with RSS1.

Yep. It's easy enough to read into Jena, but to write something out that fit
the RSS 1.0 conventions was a lot trickier. I can't remember exactly but I
think it was possible to get the right structure, but then some aggregators
choked on rss: prefixing. I'm pretty sure it'll be possible to work around
this, maybe even systematically, but it's extra work however you look at it.

I guess I'm generally agnostic on the RDF/XML profile idea - it could boost
adoption of the format (as has been the case with RSS 1.0) but not
necessarily RDF tools (I only know of two properly RDF-aware RSS 1.0
consumers, NewsMonster and IdeaGraph - any more?). But whatever, the XHTML
profile idea sounds a great idea.

Cheers,
Danny.