[rdfweb-dev] RDF all the way on XML.com

Nick Gibbins nmg at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sun Aug 24 12:45:03 UTC 2003

Dan Brickley <danbri at w3.org> writes:

>> There's an existing precedent for this approach; the Gene Ontology
>> Consortium, PRISM and RSS 1.0 all effectively have simplified
>> profiles of RDF/XML for the reasons you give.

> The problem being that they all have different simplified
> profiles. Also that this technique works best for data formats that
> are basically homogenous, and not open to unexpected extensions of
> any substance.

Do the more XML-minded FOAF (or RSS) consumers handle arbitrary
extensions gracefully?

> I think we should do a simplified syntax for FOAF, but do it as an XHTML
> profile, ie. a convention for annotating your homepage markup with
> enough info to allow RDF to be extracted. Dan Connolly showed a design
> for this 3 years back,
> http://rdfweb.org/pipermail/rdfweb-dev/2000-July/010125.html based on my
> wishlist from the 1st message to this list. Probably time to revisit the
> idea!

This is an interesting approach, and one that I've played around with
briefly as well. My worry here is the interaction between on-the-fly
generation of FOAF and digital signatures. How do you sign the file if
you don't know what it's going to look like until you've generated it?

> I am, on the other hand, interested to try out alternate RDF syntaxes on
> FOAF. For example, see http://esw.w3.org/topic/SpotOfDrama for
> experiments with unstriped syntax. (I think I circulated that already)
> These are completely general, and should work for all RDF, not just
> FOAF, so seem to me to be a better use of coding and spec-writing time.

Nice trick, and that could be made to work as a preprocessor step to
avoid having to build DTD-ness into RDF parsers.

Nick Gibbins                                            nmg at ecs.soton.ac.uk
IAM (Intelligence, Agents, Multimedia)             tel: +44 (0) 23 80598347
Electronics and Computer Science                   fax: +44 (0) 23 80592865
University of Southampton