[rdfweb-dev] Message routing

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Tue Aug 26 20:10:40 UTC 2003

* Dave Smith <dizzyd at jabber.org> [2003-08-19 17:59-0600]

> On Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003, at 09:48 America/Denver, Jonathan Greensted
> wrote:
>
> >>From a quick glance it looks like Jabber requires the endpoints to be
> >>known and
> >doesnt immediately support endpoint de-referencing.   Could someone
> >show me how
> >to use Jabber to allow two people to communicate without revealing
> >their
> >endpoint addresses.
>
> I do think that messaging is out of scope for FOAF, but if you want

Agreed. IMHO the FOAF spec should just say "ideally, use Jabber" when it comes
to IM-ish messaging protocols. That said, all the FOAF tech folks I know
still mostly use IRC. Any thoughts on migrating us from our ageing IRC
retrochic towards the shiny Jabber future? (eg. a stable 2-way gateway of
irc.freenode.net channels into Jabber might tempt a critical mass into Jabber
adoption...).

> Jabber to exchange data between parties without having either party
> know the other's "true" JID, take a look at text-conferencing (JEP-45).

Will do, thanks for the pointer

> Text-based conferencing in Jabber supports users participating in a
> chat "room" knowing only an alias for other user's JIDs -- the server
> acts as a go between and rewrites the addresses on the fly.

Nice! I'm curious about the details, but better RTFM rather than ask here...

> I'm on some good medicine right now, so feel free to ask for
> clarifications ;)

I would be very interested to hear your (medicated or otherwise :)
thoughts on migrating folks away from IRC towards Jabber, particularly
for group collaboration stuff. We use IRC very heavily at W3C and nearby
but it is so resolutely *geeky* a technology. Jabber seems to hold
promise of bridging IRC with the more friends-n-family world of 1:1 IM
chat. But at the moment all my tech collaborators use IRC and other
friends/family use AIM/MSN/Yahoo/etc, so I don't find myself using
Jabber very much yet. I've a hunch that if you could get the crowd who
use Freenode's IRC network over into Jabber, that'd be a big leap
forward, but then I've not really followed Jabber adoption issues very
closely...