[rdfweb-dev] Syntactic profiling (FOAF document formats)

David Menendez zednenem at psualum.com
Tue Aug 26 20:53:45 UTC 2003

Dan Brickley writes:

> We need something in the FOAF spec that acknowledges the
> various and varied needs people have for defining FOAF based *file
> formats*. I think this can be done without sacrificing the RDF model
or
> its XML syntax, though it isn't clear to me yet whether W3C XML
Schema,
> RELAX-NG, Schematron or prose is the appropriate technology to
> recommend to folks defining syntactic profiles. Quite likely that'll
> vary anyway, depending on their requirements and other context.

I've played around with some similar ideas using RELAX-NG. Syndication
Directory Format[1], for example, is a subset of RDF/XML that's defined
by a RELAX-NG schema and is intended to be easily parsed with or without
RFD tools. In my experience, RELAX-NG is much more suited for this than
W3C XML Schema because it doesn't require a separate schema for each
namespace.

[1] http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/2003/sdf/
--
David Menendez <zednenem at psualum.com> <http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/>