[rdfweb-dev] Re: Syntactic profiling (FOAF document formats)

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Tue Aug 26 21:01:22 UTC 2003

Dan Brickley <danbri at w3.org> wrote:
>Hi Julian,
>
>re your 'Atom or RSS 2.0 to FOAF's RSS 1.0' in
>http://rdf.burningbird.net/archives/001562.htm
>
>(...kinda dissapointing to read about it 1st in Shelley's weblog.)

Well it started as a private email but I was persuaded to post it as
well.

>(The RSS situation *really* sucks. I don't think we've done anything to
>deserve a fork. Talk to anyone who was involved. Let's not go there.)

Quite.

>  * "classic" FOAF files

As is probably clear, this is the one I'm interested in. What I have in
mind is a set of conventions. And maybe that's all it is. eg
- Only one main Person with Person as a top level node
- This Person must have:-
   - at least one of mbox or mbox_sha1sum. This should only be used in
     the form of Digital ID currently used in foaf
   - Some form of name
   - This Person is assumed to be the author/owner of the data unless
     otherwise stated.
   - zero or more knows entries
     - Each knows should have one Person
     - Each of these should have:-
     - At least one mbox_sha1sum
     - No mbox without the specific agreement of this person.
- Where possible the file should be formatted in an XML hierarchical
layout rather than use anchors
- Every Person should have a nodeId

I don't feel the need to move away from striped RDF-XML. What I do feel
the need for (within this use case) is consistency. Perhaps this means
being careful to be verbose and not to use RDF style shortcuts and
contractions. I don't think this prevents people adding extensions from
other vocabs and it shouldn't.

The meat of the post on burningbird was really about trust, source of
data and so on. The rest of it can just be put down to my usual tactless
ways. ;-(

Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
Webmaster:              http://www.ecademy.com/
Personal WebLog:       http://www.voidstar.com/
M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173   T: +44 (0)192 0412 433