[rdfweb-dev] Message routing

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Thu Aug 28 18:38:46 UTC 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Graham Klyne wrote:

> At 16:10 26/08/03 -0400, Dan Brickley wrote:
> >I would be very interested to hear your (medicated or otherwise :)
> >thoughts on migrating folks away from IRC towards Jabber, particularly
> >for group collaboration stuff. We use IRC very heavily at W3C and nearby
> >but it is so resolutely *geeky* a technology. Jabber seems to hold
> >promise of bridging IRC with the more friends-n-family world of 1:1 IM
> >chat. But at the moment all my tech collaborators use IRC and other
> >friends/family use AIM/MSN/Yahoo/etc, so I don't find myself using
> >Jabber very much yet. I've a hunch that if you could get the crowd who
> >use Freenode's IRC network over into Jabber, that'd be a big leap
> >forward, but then I've not really followed Jabber adoption issues very
> >closely...

But that's one of the things about Jabber that makes it easier to
switch. There are gateways for all the other IM services. I run a jabber
server with gateway transports for AIM, Yahoo, MSN, and ICQ. The MSN
transport is especially nice, in that it will automagically convert
multi-way chats into a Jabber conference room.

> [....]
> I understand the Jabber architecture was al;ways designed to bridge
> multiple protocols:  is there a Jabber-IRC bridge?  I'd be surprised if
> not, in some form.  That might provide a migration path for the current IRC
> conferences.

There is (was?) an IRC transport for Jabber, but I've never used it. A
quick Google search tells me that irc-t is not up-to-date. The project
on JabberStudio has no files, and shows a note from last year saying
that they were waiting for the new multi-user chat protocol spec to firm
up. Well, MUC has been done for a while now, but I still don't see an
IRC transport for it.

--
Ernest MacDougal Campbell III, MCP+I, MCSE <dougal at gunters.org>
http://dougal.gunters.org/             http://spam.gunters.org/