[rdfweb-dev] Re: Syntactic profiling (FOAF document formats)

Bill de hÓra bill at dehora.net
Fri Aug 29 21:08:51 UTC 2003

Victor Lindesay wrote:

> True Edd, XML Schema is not perfect. Tools and code do break down with
> schemas that push the spec and concurrency is impossible to represent.

Yes.

> However it is a standard in wide use.
> Witness the giga-bytes of SOAP
> document/literal messages consumed and produced by god knows what
> toolkit every day, all critically dependent on the XML Schema of the
> wire XML embedded in the WSDL.

Argument ad populum; to parapharse James Clark, there's no need to
suspend technical judgement as a result.

> Had trouble hitting the Google or Amazon
> web services recently with your SOAP toolkit? No, well that sounds like
> a mature enough technology to me.

Two public services? Hardly, and very selective.

In any case, I see no value in running with WXS unless you're
already committed to it and can't easily migrate off it. Using RNG
and blowing out the WXS/DTD with trang, assuming the WXS/DTD is
capable of describing the schema in the first place, makes a huge
amount of sense (imho). Assuming of course a schema is even needed.

Bill de hÓra