[rdfweb-dev] Speccing MetaDean - a Dean Campaign Community Aggregator

Stephen Pollei stephen_pollei at comcast.net
Wed Dec 10 22:03:14 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 00:06, Zack Rosen wrote:
> provide a set of XML pages in
> FOAF (friend of a friend) format which display the meta-information for
> the site. Pages will be generated for:
> General Site Information
> Total Site Content
> Individual User Content
> The schema for these files will follow the FOAF spec, extending where
> necessary.
Thats cool. Also have you looked at
rss(http://web.resource.org/rss/1.0/) and
taxo(http://web.resource.org/rss/1.0/modules/taxonomy/) and the dublin
core stuff. http://www.schemaweb.info/ is a good place to find other
schemas as well. What kind of meta-data you looking for? generic things
you'd find in the html head section? keywords,topics, group affiliation,
etc?
> We need to work out group categorization.  This gets tricky because some
> groups are geographic (Cities, states, regions for Dean) - but some are
> not (Pilots for Dean, Asian American for Dean) and some are both -
> (Asian Americans in California for Dean).  We also want to be able to
> map out relationships between groups ie - All the local Asian American
> groups should be related to their parent: the national Asian Americans
> for Dean group, and their sister sites - the other localized Asian
> Americans for Dean sites.  What are your thoughts?
groups in foaf seem to be underdeveloped at the moment.
I think that this might be rough form of what you need:
<group>
<rdf:label>Asian Americans pilots in California for Dean<rdf:label>
<rdf:description>A group of people who want to see Dean
soar</rdf:description>
<geoscope>***cali-TODO***</geoscope>
<interest>flying</interest>
<interest>Asian race</interest>
<subgroupOf>parent group</sungroupOf>
<subgroup>some smaller unit</subgroup>
<relatedGroup>some other group</relatedGroup>
<seeAlso rdf:resource="http://foo.example.org/" />
</group>
Feel free to tear the above apart.

I've been thinking about groups a lot recently. Some things are temporal
issues again. Groups are formed at specific times and then dissolve at
other times. Some groups gain and lose members over time. In some groups
the roles people play inside of them change over time. nonvoting member,
voting member, retired honorary member, club president, secretary,
treasurer etc. dcterms:valid will let me express validity time periods,
but I'd probably have to add Membership class and maybe MembershipStatus
class to flesh out more of the elements that can be dynamic in nature.

I have also been thinking about locations and address. I guess for
completeness it my scheme I'd have to think about hierarchy of:
world
continents/oceans
nations/countries
state, region, province, prefecture
county, parish, gun , district
city, township, shi
city division, borough, city district, ward, chou
neighborhood, block
street
and now people who want things like the northwest states of Washington,
Idaho,Montana, Oregon. Ad hoc subregions. I like dcterms geo stuff
better than just the geo namespace.. has bounding box and other things.
I can see where that might be useful in expressing some ad hoc regions
in a good manner.

If you have Asian and other ethnic groups it might be cool to try out
the knownAs extensions then they can express/spell their names in their
native style and still have their americanized styled aliases. i18n
isn't just for overseas.