[rdfweb-dev] description of a photo with GPS data

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Fri Dec 26 17:49:57 UTC 2003

At 12:02 25/12/03 +0000, Jim Ley wrote:
>Often photos are interesting because they are "the view from the top of
>mount fuji" rather than being a depiction of mount fuji, if we have these
>we'll also be able to distinguish the location of the camera from the
>location of the thing it depicts.  I'm not sure what a vocabulary would look
>like yet, but it's like your photo:takenAt but would also be useful to add
>directions it was looking etc. It's time for the pub now, so I'll have to
>think about it later.

Interesting!

It suggests to me that a photograph is not so much a "thing" as a relation
between an "act of photographing" and a "thing photographed", many of which
might be described using the same properties (e.g. identification of a
place or person might be applied to either, with different
meanings).  Other properties (e.g. time) might be applied to either with
equivalent meaning (unless we're talking about astronomical photography
;-).  And yet others might be applicable to only one or the other (e.g.
camera settings -- aperture, shutter speed -- apply only to the act, and
treatment of the subject -- kind of lighting that is present, or weather,
or activity being observed -- apply only to the thing.

I think this is probably a general challenge with information modelling:  a
framework that works well at one level needing to be substantially
rethought as one gets to more detailed levels of description...?

#g