[rdfweb-dev] question:- how to: distanceFrom.....nearestAirpot

Morten Frederiksen mof-rdf at mfd-consult.dk
Thu Feb 6 18:42:31 UTC 2003

Hi there,

Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org> wrote:
>I had a similar question recently (about including geographical
>locations in FOAF), but there was no clear consensus. What I finally
>wound up doing was to declare my own namespace as a container, then
>tossing some vCard and Point info into it:
[example snippet from http://dougal.gunters.org/dougal.foaf snipped]

I faced the same "issue" not long ago, but found out that the Contact
schema [1] provided what was needed, a "home" property along with a
"ContactLocation". This namespace also contains the (apparently
undocumented, but widely used) nearestAirport property. Recently I used
the OpenCyc [2] vocabulary for, among other things, a hotel with the
HumanResidence class, when trying to describe a trip to Amsterdam [3].

For the actual location, I used the wgs84 vocabulary [4], but I rather
like the way you used dcmi-point [5], perhaps the wgs84 properties
should refer to that in some way (subPropertyOf)?

In any case, I believe existing schemas should be used when at all
possible.

BTW, the way you tried to provide multiple "values" for the location
property is not valid RDF, you might want to check out the RDF
Validator [6].

[1] http://www.w3.org/2000/10/swap/pim/contact#
[2] http://opencyc.sourceforge.net/daml/cyc#
[3] http://xml.mfd-consult.dk/foaf/morten-0301-ams.rdf