[rdfweb-dev] Creative Commons licences on foaf files, what does it mean?

Dan Brickley danbri at w...
Thu Jan 2 23:55:25 UTC 2003

* Dan Brickley <danbri at w...> [2003-01-02 14:42-0500]
> * Eric Vitiello Jr. <eric at p...> [2003-01-02 09:17-0500]
> > > If foafnaut use of the data requires attribution, (and I don't believe the
> > > aggregrated data necessarily does) then I believe my only options is to
> > > ignore foaf documents with such licence restrictions as I cannot meet the
> > > licence.
> >
> > I forgot about the aggregation.
> >
> > Maybe have a bibliography pane in foafnaut that displays where the
> > information
> > for that person came from, with some sort of disclaimer? Something along
> > the lines of:
> >
> > "Information from this individual was gathered from the following sources:"
> >
> > and then list the URLS where it came from, and possibly some kind of marker
> > denote that a given source required the use of attribution?
>
> Something like that seems plausible to me.
>
> This problem is reminiscent of software licenses which require attribution;
> when dozens of software components are hooked up into a larger whole,
> attribution requirements can be a real pain.
>
> I doubt that CC's design focussed on use cases such as ours. It might be worth
> reporting back to them on how CC has worked, or hasn't, for annotating foaf
> files...

FWIW, there seems to be a similar debate going on at livejournal w.r.t.
exposure of RSS feeds. Well, I guess the similarity is w.r.t. discussion of
exposing FOAF descriptions from sites that have user profiles. Anyway,
see jwz's post/rant at http://www.livejournal.com/talkread.bml?journal=jwz&itemid=126859 for details.