[rdfweb-dev] locations?

Jim Ley jim at j...
Mon Jan 6 10:23:28 UTC 2003

"Dougal Campbell" <dougal at g...>
> On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Bill Kearney wrote:
>
> > There are better Dublin Core positioning elements that could be used.
> > DCMI-point.
>
> I finally tracked down a useful reference:
> http://dublincore.org/documents/2000/07/28/dcmi-point/
>
> This definitely looks like a better starting point. Any recommendations
> for adding the other attributes (postal code, state/province,
> hometown/workplace/summer-home, etc)?
>
> How about:
>
> <point:Point name="Enterprise, AL">
> <point:north>31.3</point:north>
> <point:east>-85.85</point:east>
> <rdf:Description>
> <dc:description>Hometown</dc:description>
> <contact:City>Enterprise</contact:City>
> <contact:StateOrProvince>AL</contact:StateOrProvince>
> <contact:Country>us</contact:Country>
> <contact:PostalCode>36330</contact:PostalCode>
> </rdf:Description>
> </point:Point>

Since you don't mention the projection, and Dublin Core's default is to
wooly to be used, and only lets you define it as a string literal anyway, I
don't like this for lat/lon. As it's much easier if we can get people to
agree on a projection we should by preference use a predicate which limits
users to one, they can still then use others.

Also, contact:stateOrProvince looks dodgy, using a region specific 2 letter
code without specifying the region. (although maybe since country is also
defined more unambigously we're okay)

Jim.