[rdfweb-dev] Re: PHP RDF Parser

Jim Ley jim at j...
Sat Jan 11 15:57:55 UTC 2003

"Julian Bond" <julian_bond at v...>
> Libby Miller <libby.miller at b...> wrote:
> OK. Bad example. So how about
>
> <rdf:Description>
> <foaf:workplaceHomepage rdf:resource="xxx.yyy" />
>
> http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/ appears to say that workplaceHomepage should
> be of domain Person.

but Person is a subClass... It's probably not "correct", but equally it's
not really incorrect, I believe the format only happens on very old foaf
potentially before the foaf:Person was created, equally that's why you see
the WordNet Person used aswell.

> Give the source, the file this came from is clearly meant to be FOAF. So
> the author appears to be saying that the object might be a Person or
> might not, they just don't know.

Yep, so you have to use your choice of what you do with it, I don't care
what the type of the resource is, if it's got an email address or a
homepage, then chances are it's a Person, you may take a different
opinion, in the abscence of real information, but it probably doesn't
matter a great deal.

> It's as though the author has deliberately not used <foaf:Person> which
> strikes me as obtuse. Perhaps there's a reason I don't see yet, perhaps
> it's a mistake.

I'm sure it's the age of the file, nothing more. You can possibly ignore
it as a curiosity.

One thing to remember though is that the foaf schema document follows
implementation, not leading it, and so the domain/range may be dodgy. I
don't like the idea the knows to be limited to Person myself (pets for
example, and I'm certainly going to search out Rocky whilst I'm in South
Africa).

Jim.