[rdfweb-dev] Redundant tags and tidying the foaf set
julian_bond at voidstar.com
Thu Jul 24 14:43:55 UTC 2003
Some of my thoughts on tidying the set of foaf tags.
- There's a bunch of "joke" tags. We should spin them out into their own
namespace. (jokeFOAF:) eg dnaChecksum, geekcode, myersBriggs
- Name seems to be problematic. Do we really need all of name, nick,
givenname, surname, family_name, firstName, title. I'd suggest reducing
these to name, title, firstName, lastName and spinning nick out into an
- Webpage and IM Chat look to me like primitives that have multiple
types. Rather than thisWebpage and thatWebpage, shouldn't it be webpage
type=""? and instead of thisIMChat and thatIMchat, <im service=""
- Just as with webpage, so with project and image. There's overlap in
currentProject, pastProject, fundedby and img, logo, thumbnail,
- People have locations. I'm still trying to find a reasonable vocab for
including an address. Unless there's a good namespace already out there,
I'd like to see a simple address tree. Perhaps
- Looking at the names, there's no consistency in capitalization.
There's capitalized, lower case, run together, separated by _,
camelcase. Should be easy to fix.
Coming from a SQL world it looks to me like this data is un-normalised
with excessive redundancy and that it's evolved by accretion. Which I
guess is what happened!
Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
Personal WebLog: http://www.voidstar.com/
M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173 T: +44 (0)192 0412 433
More information about the foaf-dev