[rdfweb-dev] FW: [blogunlimited] RSS from db apps for monitoring

Danny Ayers danny666 at virgilio.it
Thu May 8 11:08:28 UTC 2003

David posted this over at blogunlimited at yahoogroups.com, and the impression
I get is that what he's describing makes a very good set of use cases for
RSS + FOAF, with a bit of calendaring and trust thrown in. I'm pretty sure
that most of this stuff can already be done - is anyone actually doing it?

-------

Hi,

I found my way here from Shelley's blog, I hope it is an appropriate
place to get feedback on some ideas I am currently working on.

In a free software application for fundraising (currently mostly used by
charities) I was wondering about adding RSS feeds.

I have a number of different ideas about this. But I think the key
difference from an RSS feed for a news site/blog is that I see the rss
feed as dynamically created (but with caching).

If we think of the contact management elements of the application (to
keep things more general) I can see feeds like this being useful.

- feed of all new contacts added
- feed of any changes to contacts I am responsible for
- feed of all changes made by user X (eg X is a new member of staff I am
training and want to monitor the quality of their work)
- feed of address changes (maybe for replication)
- statistics feed so I can monitor the system
- committee feed (changes to makeup of committees)
- diary feed

In addition how about allowing any person you keep in your contact
system to have a private rss feed of all the changes made about them. A
way of being open to them and also a way of providing direct relevant
information to them rather than by email.

Does anyone else do this kind of thing or am I barking mad?

Some of these feeds would be entirely public, others will need to be
private and so I would like to be able to enforce basic authentication
over https for some feeds - will many applications accept that?

Thanks for your comments.

Dave
--
David Warnock, Sundayta Ltd. http://www.sundayta.com
iDocSys for Document Management. VisibleResults for Fundraising.

Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVfoB/hP.FAA/uetFAA/qkHolB/TM