[rdfweb-dev] foaf:birthday?

Libby Miller Libby.Miller at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Nov 21 23:06:04 UTC 2003

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Morten Frederiksen wrote:

> On Monday 17 November 2003 12:25, Danny Ayers wrote:
> > Having birthdays as foaf:birthDate (as suggested on the Wiki) might put a
> > lot of people off - privacy etc, it might be interesting to provide an
> > alternative that is the less intrusive recurring event - expressed as
> > month-day:
> > <birthday>07-03</birthday>
> > There's obvious overlap with rdf-calendar which could be used in the
> > schema, and this could provide data for simple calendarish apps that could
> > later extend further into ical/rdf-calendar.
> I'd like for foaf:birthday to have a range of cal:Vevent (from the RDF
> calendar schema [1]), theoretically this would allow everyone to supply as
> much or little information as is needed/wanted, and provide for richer
> integration. However, just like for the W3C date/time profile [2], it doesn't
> seem to be possible - a complete and valid date is needed, month+day is not
> allowed.

hm, shame. Yep, I think it has to be a complete date or datetime. Could
you do it as a repeating event?

    <Vevent>
      <dtstart rdf:parseType='Resource'>
        <date>2003-10-23</date>
      </dtstart>
      <rrule rdf:parseType='Resource'>
      <freq>YEARLY</freq>
      <interval>1</interval>
      </rrule>
    </Vevent>

(I'm not positive about that, but something along those lines)

So then you can specify just this year's start date (or whenever) and
repeat from there.

Make any sense?

Libby