[rdfweb-dev] Image locations

Morten Frederiksen mof-rdf at mfd-consult.dk
Sun Oct 12 18:49:15 UTC 2003

Hi there,

Libby and I discussed the issue of assigning a location to an image earlier
today in #foaf [1]. As always, there are a multitude of ways to do this,
suggestions and recommendations much appreciated...

(N3 ahead, hope y'all won't mind)

My first hunch was:
<image.jpg> cyc:near [ geo:lat "51.47"; geo:long "-2.59" ] .
but that puts the image file at a specific position, not really what's
intended (and wrong too, since the server is nowhere near that place).

Take 2:
<image.jpg> foaf:depicts [
	cyc:near [ geo:lat "51.47"; geo:long "-2.59" ] ] .
which is more like it, but as Libby pointed out, a picture is rearely taken
of something at the location of the camera (self-depictions excepted).

Third time's the charm?:
<image.jpg> foaf:creationEvent [
	cal:geo [ geo:lat "51.47"; geo:long "-2.59" ] ] .
which ties the location to the event of taking the picture. This, however,
seems to suffer by e.g. dc:date and exif:date already being present separate
from the event, which really should have date/time information explicitly
present.

So just to try something different, here's what I ended up doing for my
England photos [2]:
<image.jpg> dc:spatial [
	cyc:near [ geo:lat "51.47"; geo:long "-2.59" ] ] .
which is nicely non-specific (and also seems to fit in with spacenamespace,
in that one could have a spacenamespace URI as the object of the dc:spatial
relation)...

In any case, it seems that a property relating a "work" to an event seems
like a good idea. We discussed alternative names for foaf:creationEvent
[rdfs:domain: foaf:Document; rdfs:range cal:Vevent]:
foaf:created - but that may be confused with dc:created
foaf:creation - but that sounds too rdfs:Class-like
foaf:spacio-location-context - "catchy!"

Any takers?

Other approaches relevant to events and locations:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-calendar/2003Apr/0005.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-calendar/2003Jun/0011.html

[1] http://ilrt.org/discovery/chatlogs/foaf/2003-10-12.html#T12-10-05
[2] http://www.wasab.dk/morten/2003/10/photos/england/