[rdfweb-dev] inverse of knows:

Victor Lindesay victor at vicsoft.co.uk
Fri Oct 17 09:04:58 UTC 2003

> Original Message: Marc Canter

> We've extended the schema - as a means of developing new
> functionality.

> Not really sure what will happen if we're "excommunicated"
> (or rejected
> or is contrary opinions or beliefs ar hoisted upon us.)  Though we may
> seem heretical, we love FOAF anyway.

Granted the need for experimentation, I don't think that hijacking an
established published namespace is the correct way to do it. This might
incur the ultimate punishment of being called a 'utter tosser' on the
FOAF IRC which I can assure you from personal experience is not a nice
time!

Anyway, the right way is so easy. In Marc's case, just download Eric's
schema to use as a template, change the namespace to your own namespace
such as http://peopleaggregator.com/2003/10/relationship#, substitute
your own relationship properties in the rdf:ID attribute values, making
sure that they are all rdfs:subPropertyOf of
http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/knows, publish the schema at the address of
the namespace and that's it.

Reasoning software can then process your FOAF documents. At the moment,
RDF agents will see Eric's namespace, look up the schema and not find
your properties and then discard the data. Your present FOAF format
requires prior knowledge (and developer eyeballing) and is basically
just an er.. XML document.

[Note: If you are using Eric's schema as template, be sure to qualify
the 'resource' attributes (rdf:resource) as unqualified use of RDF
attributes has been deprecated.]