[rdfweb-dev] Schema

Danny Ayers danny666 at virgilio.it
Fri Oct 24 20:51:10 UTC 2003

> - I think it should allow elements from other namespaces. dc is widely
> used and useful. bio and vcard could make an appearance as well.
> Providing all these are used in such a way that they can be ignored if
> not understood I don't think it breaks the spirit of foaf-basic.

Hmm, I suspect there might be hidden dangers with ignore-if-not-understood
when handling RDF/XML. In the RDF sense, it's there already (why use
foaf-basic if you want to support other namespaces?), but looking from the
point of view of simple XML, it might get tangly.

I was wondering about a related issue - I've heard reports that some parsers
have trouble with anything particularly complex. Seems to me that it should
be possible to put together an XSLT stylesheet that could reduce an
arbitrary FOAF file down to something like foaf-basic. My XSLT isn't that
hot, I'm not sure how you'd deal with chains of unknownProperty ->
UnknownClass, but I'm sure it's possible. I reckon such stylesheets could
make a good complement to the profiles.

Cheers,
Danny.