[rdfweb-dev] foaf:maker syntax question

Libby Miller Libby.Miller at bristol.ac.uk
Sat Sep 13 19:23:47 UTC 2003

hi Jim

yep you can do that; however we tend not to recommend using ID for a
Person because it gives you a uri referenceable from outside the
document, which is not great style as it can confuse a person with
something that looks like a dereferenable document fragment.

We recommend using rdf:nodeID, e.g.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
  xmlns="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/">
<Person rdf:nodeID="Jim">
<mbox rdf:resource="mailto:jim at example.com"/>
</Person>
<Person>
<mbox rdf:resource="mailto:bob at example.com"/>
<knows rdf:nodeID="Jim"/>
</Person>
</rdf:RDF>

which assigns the node a local id.

However some parsers don't yet support nodeID - so using ID and
resource is ok.

cheers

Libby