[rdfweb-dev] draft etcon FOAF talk summary

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Thu Sep 25 09:46:51 UTC 2003

* Victor Lindesay <victor at vicsoft.co.uk> [2003-09-25 07:11+0100]
> Hi Dan,
>
> I quote from your abtract:
> FOAF has many possible futures: utopian, dystopian, and the spaces in
> between.
>
> What does this mean please? I don't understand (as usual).

It was a bit compressed (25 word limit).

Unpacked: There any many possible states of the world that these trends could lead us to:
positive, good, wholesome ones (unite all of humanity, peace on earth, reduced cost of
inter-site profile migration, verification of the 6 degrees hypothesis, opening up of the media),
as well as some frankly rather scary scenarios (eg. [1], big brother / privacy concerns re [2]).
Now that we know we can do it, we should be thinking about whether, when, and how to do it...

Repacked: (glibly) this could all turn out great, or go horribly horribly wrong.

Dan

[1] http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0609607995/103-8111838-7319008?v=glance
[2] http://www.darpa.mil/iao/TIASystems.htm