[rdfweb-dev] Re: foaf use case: vegetarian / airline bookings

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Mon Sep 29 21:24:35 UTC 2003

* Jennifer Golbeck <golbeck at cs.umd.edu> [2003-09-29 11:34-0400]
> The owlized version is now at its new home,
> http://www.mindswap.org/2003/vegetarian.owl

Looks good. What should the xmlns prefix be?

xmlns:veg="http://www.mindswap.org/2003/vegetarian#" ? Ah I see
you have xmlns="http://www.mindswap.org/2003/vegetarian.owl#"

Is the .owl needed? seems like an implementation concern... (hmm but
also nice re OWL marketing :)

> I ran the daml through my new converter, so hopefully everything it
> correct (it looks pretty good).
>
> I definitely think the religious extensions will be interesting, and I'll
> put that on the list of items to start investigating this week. Once I
> have an update, I'll post that here.

Cool :)

I was just chatting to Amy van der Heil about W3C meeting planning
and the categories they use.

<amy>	Omnivore (meat & etc)
<amy>	Vegetarian
<amy>	Vegan
<amy>	Kosher
<amy>	No red meat
<amy>	No shell fish
<amy>	No sugar
<amy>	Other dietary requirements (precise below)

Also common concerns are no sugar, no nuts (allergy), allergic to
shellfish. Occsionally also wheat/dairy intolerence.

Not clear where to draw the line. Knowing religious views (eg. Kosher
is explicit above) helps with food but also with other aspects of
meeting planning (relig. holidays etc). Which in turn connects to the
RDF/ical work (Libby -- any comments?).

I also meant to go look into airline std practice again, haven't done
yet.

Back to the detail of your vocab, any chance you could be persuaded to
define in terms of http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/Person class instead of
(or as well as?) the isi Person class?

currently you have http://www.isi.edu/webscripter/person.o.daml#Person

..maybe I could put a reference (reciprocal subclass???) to that
class into the FOAF schema? Interested testbed for distributed vocab
issues...

cheers,