[rdfweb-dev] SubEthaSchema

Christopher Schmidt crschmid at uiuc.edu
Mon Aug 2 00:31:26 UTC 2004

On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 05:57:17PM -0500, elijah wright wrote:

> > > Is there a SubEthaEdit client for platforms other than Mac OS X?
> > > It's not a problem for me, since I do use OS X, but it seems it would
> > > be better if people on other platforms could contribute to this.
> >
> > Not only is there not one for any other platform, there's nothing even
> > similar that's been released for any other platform yet. Wikis obviously
> > kind of play into that role, but they aren't nearly as interactive,
> > which is what I was looking for in a short term (before tomorrow)
> > project like this.
>
> it would be very cool (if anyone happens to know the SubEthaEdit folks, or
> feels inclined to make their acquaintance) if the wire protocol used by
> SubEthaEdit were documented for interoperability.  :)
>
> [i suppose that SEE might currently be implemented with something like
> Cocoa distributed objects layered on top of zeroconf - which would limit
> its reproduction with other tools a little bit.  still might be able to
> build a clone with gnustep, but it would be a bit harder.]

It uses BEEP[1] to do information exchange, which is an open standard.
However, they haven't published any of their code - other than simple
things like syntax file formatting that makes their own product more
popular - and they charge a license fee for commercial use. In
everything I've read, they haven't been particularly geared towards
interoperability.

However, I don't know the guys well, so I could just be misinterpreting
what I've read.

Just for the record, this is what I get when I telnet to a SEE session:

RPY 0 0 . 0 263

<greeting><profile
uri="http://www.codingmonkeys.de/BEEP/SubEthaEditHandshake" /><profile
uri="http://www.codingmonkeys.de/BEEP/TCMMMStatus" /><profile
uri="http://www.codingmonkeys.de/BEEP/SubEthaEditSession" /></greeting>
END

Anyway. I don't think reverse engineering is a trivial task, but I also
don't see it as being impossible - just not done yet ;)

[1] http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-beep/

Christopher Schmidt