[rdfweb-dev] foaf:dateOfBirth

Benjamin Nowack bnowack at appmosphere.com
Mon Aug 2 07:35:17 UTC 2004

On 01.08.2004 19:49:10, Bill Kearney wrote:
>> - some people might not want to make their DOB available as it is
>> sometimes used as part of security information about you.
>
>+1 as identity theft is an on-going concern.

>I'm leaning back toward a foaf:dateofbirth with some sort of allowance for
>omitting the year.  Perhaps even requiring that it be omitted, maybe as a
>'birthday' element containing only the month and day.  A bit less useful from a
>'treat it like a timestamp' value but better for it's overall usefulness.  Thus
>I'd allow two elements, dateofbirth and birthday; the former being THE date,
>the latter being just the annual occurance.

for ease of implementation I'd even suggest three separate properties:
- yearOfBirth
- monthOfBirth
- dayOfBirth

those would allow to:
- make your age available, but not your birthday
- publish your bday's day and month, but not your age
- easily select people's birthdays from a triplebase for
  a given day/month combination

another nice use case:
- find people at your age (yearOfBirth) that share the same
  foaf:schoolHomepage with you

I'd actually like to see handy general year/month/day
properties. e.g. for finding "people I met last year"
via co-depictions for a given year etc.

benjamin

--
Benjamin Nowack