[rdfweb-dev] Re: Atom-FOAF

Henry Story henry.story at bblfish.net
Sun Aug 15 17:18:38 UTC 2004

On 15 Aug 2004, at 17:43, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Henry Story wrote:
>> I have written out a full description with a lot of illustrations on
>> how to FOAFify Atom [1]. The description is written out as a blog
>> which is using the format it is advocating to back it up. So it is
>> both a description and a proof of concept.
>
> [snip]
>
>> I look very much forward to any criticism. This document is the
>> result of many such criticisms, for which I am very thankful.
>> Henry Story
>> [1] http://bblfish.net/work/atom-owl/2004-08-12/blogexample.html
>
> I have a few questions, let's take
> <http://bblfish.net/work/atom-owl/2004-08-12/entry.2004-06-29-1010.n3>
> as an example.

The short answer to all your questions, is because nobody has yet
looked at this as closely as you have :-)

> 1) Why does line 13 have "^^xsd:string", but neither line 18 nor line
> 26
>    do?

I have changed all of them to ^^xsd:string. I am using Jena so that
just required me to
change my code to
model.createTypedLiteral(mime)

> 2) Why is :data an declared as "^^rdf:XMLLiteral"?

I thought that since the value of the data field of a content object
would most likely be xml, this would probably be the best type to give
it. But I am fully open to criticism here.

> 3) Why does :created have " GMT" in it?  I believe this makes it an
>    invalid xsd:dateTime value.

That's because I must have copied and pasted my Java date creation time
from a flawed source.

I have now changed it to:
       df = new SimpleDateFormat("yyyy-MM-dd'T'HH:mm:ss"); //ISO 8601
format

If there is a better format string for java please let me know.

> - Sam Ruby

These changes are now on the web site.

Thanks for the comments. I hope my fixes are moving me in the right
direction.

Henry