[rdfweb-dev] Re: Atom-FOAF

Henry Story henry.story at bblfish.net
Wed Aug 18 09:44:19 UTC 2004

Here are some of my own thoughts concerning this [1] work:

	- How is this an improvement over RSS1.0. I am very new to RDF, RSS
and blogging,
		and have not yet had much time to look at what the RSS1.0 community
has come up
		with. Perhaps I am just (badly) re-inventing the wheel. I would love
feedback
		from that area on how they think one could improve on their work, and
the 		pitfalls one should avoid. Perhaps there is an RSS1.0 meeting
point I should 		send this to.
	- clearly there is a lot of overlap with Dublin Core. It would be
interesting to
		make these obvious by stating the equality relations between the
properties
		I have defined and the Dublin Core ones in the Atom.owl file.
	- Should the foaf:Agent class be accessed directly, as it is in the
example, or
		should one interpose an interface class, say atom:Agent, as Danny
Ayers does in
		his Atom-OWL[2] work from which mine is derived. An interface class
would
		be one that specifies the minimal requirements. If one were to do
this, then 		presumably somebody could still end up with something
directly referencing
		foaf:Agent, but I suppose they would have to import some ontology
that makes
		the equality explicit. What is the best way to deal with importing
such rules?

  Anyway as a side comment I have to say that this RDF thing is really
easy to get a grip on. With tools such as Protege [3], from Stanford
University, writing object oriented RDF is a breeze. Languages such as
N3 make reading RDF as easy as reading the
morning newspaper. And it really feels good to have something that is
based not only on such widely adopted standards as XML, but also
supported by the full mathematical infrastructure of set theory and
logic [4]. I love power tools, and we have not found anything much
better than mathematics yet. It is only by building on the shoulder of
giants that we can hope to go any further. I think that the view from
up on Tim Berner's Lee's shoulder is going to be pretty awesome.

Henry

[1] http://bblfish.net/work/atom-owl/2004-08-12/blogexample.html
[2] http://semtext.org/atom/index.html
[3] http://protege.stanford.edu/