[rdfweb-dev] Tidy up your FOAF week - name and shame

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Sun Jul 11 10:49:54 UTC 2004

Jim Ley <jim.ley at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 07:12:11 +0100, Julian Bond
><julian_bond at voidstar.com> wrote:
>> Use of http://xmlns.com/wordnet/1.6/Person instead of foaf:Person
>
>This isn't wrong, foaf:Person is just a subClassOf of Wordnet Person,
>so there's nothing actually wrong with the information, they've just
>been less specific than they could've been.

Since we don't have namespace/owl aware parsers that can make the
inference, it's useless. It means that the application needs to remember
another special case.

I have the same problem with people who use one of the two(!) rel:
namespaces and leave out the foaf:knows information. It's accurate, it's
good rdf, but it adds another burden onto the poor application
developer.

So really it's just being unnecessarily obtuse. This particular FOAF
comes from someone who was very active in the early days of FOAF but has
since wandered off. My guess is that's a first attempt that is just
hanging around on the intarweb.

>> rdfs:seeAlso in the context of the file
>
>This is also not wrong, but it's not very useful in foaf terms, it
>just says "there's some more rdf over here about this file"

<rdf>
   <rdfs:seeAlso
rdf:resource="http://www.ideaspace.net/users/wkearney/foaf.xrdf"/>
</rdf>

is legal? I'm amazed. And the RDF validator says
Error: {E201} Syntax error when processing attribute rdf:resource.
Cannot have attribute rdf:resource in this context.[Line = 5, Column =
81]

Come on people, just clean up your damn FOAF! And if you do it, add in
all the new stuff.

Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
Webmaster:                 http://www.ecademy.com/
Personal WebLog:          http://www.voidstar.com/
M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173      T: +44 (0)192 0412 433