[rdfweb-dev] parser pragmatics: Redland 4 win, Raptor in PHP?

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Jul 20 22:41:37 UTC 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 22:06:13 +0100
Julian Bond <julian_bond at voidstar.com> wrote:

> elijah wright <elw at stderr.org> wrote:
> >Julian, you seem to be the chief instigator here - what bits of
> >raptor/redland do you want built?  bindings requests?

That's not hard.  Raptor and redland have been built by individuals
and shipped inside windows products.  Raptor's is inside RDF Gateway
for example.  Redland's is in win32 builds of w3c's amaya or
annotea, I forget which.  I've accepted patches for win32 fixes for
compiling with Visual Studio 6, the latest were last month.  There
are very few unixisms in either, and for example, raptor has good win32
file: URI support.

(cygwin is out of scope for this discussion.)

> Enough to call it from php. Which I think means a php extension dll
> with enough supporting dlls for it to work.

I expect you can compile it statically.  You do need an XML parser
somewhere.  From what I see, you need a shared library/dll and maybe
a php initialisation file to load it, set a few things up.

> I'm kind of assuming that I'll be able to parse a large string to a
> model and then query the model with PHP calls.

That will need redland since only it has models (RDF graphs).

> So that's the PHP binding, Redland, and Raptor?

To repeat what I've said elsewhere - I presently have no MS Visual
Studio licenses, MS Windows licenses or any related required software,
or spare computers to install that in a safe fashion (that's real
money needed).  At this time I do not want to take this on as well
since the redland & related free software/open source work is the
priority.

Dave