[rdfweb-dev] namespace versioning

Julian Bond julian_bond at voidstar.com
Mon Jul 26 06:49:43 UTC 2004

Danny Ayers <danny666 at virgilio.it> wrote:
>Well, it handles a single case, and might be brittle. Then again I
>think you'd have to go beyond RDF(S) to express the equivalences, I
>can't see an easy good-practice route. But all the same, if you did
>look at things after parsing (or at least late in parsing) it may be
>possible to hardwire in full equivalence handling (on the URIs of
>terms), but with arbitrary equivalence maps.

Well, I'm using RAP's model->findRegex() function so that's after
parsing into triples. RAP's normal search is all based on matching
resources that are based on complete URI's eg
http://purl.org/vocab/relationship/friendOf There's no easy way to
search for the other two possibilities without just doing it
sequentially. Whether it's hard coded or with another layer of
indirection, the application would need a map of all the namespaces of
interest.

The implication for FOAF here is that if the namespace ever moved on,
say to http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.2/, lots of existing applications built
on FOAF would simply not see any data that used the new URI.

Is there any formal around RDF namespace versioning? What are we
supposed to do?

Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
Webmaster:                 http://www.ecademy.com/
Personal WebLog:          http://www.voidstar.com/
M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173      T: +44 (0)192 0412 433