[rdfweb-dev] FOAF and Virtual Presence

Heiner Wolf wolf at bluehands.de
Tue Jul 27 08:31:42 UTC 2004

Hi

I would like to integrate a social network component into a Virtual
Presence system. I need some advice on how to use and integrate FOAF. I
am not that much interested in available code. Although it is nice to
have, code is not a problem for me. I would like to discuss how the FOAF
architecture can be used for Virtual Presence.

I implemented a system which makes people visible on Web pages. Web
users running the client are shown as avatars standing on the page. It
is based on Jabber and it is open source. Here is more:
http://www.lluna.de. People meet each other on Web pages of common
interest which gives them reason to talk. I would like to employ FOAF to
give them even more reason, because the client could tell them to which
degree they know the other people they meet. My idea is that people
enter a Web page, they see avatars of others on the same page (works
already). In addition the FOAF component would indicate if and how they
are related to the other person. This involves digging of FOAF-RDF
files, maybe there is a central service that is queried. It definitely
needs caching, because you can meet many people in a short time and
digging to a significant depth through all contacts on FOAF lists is
probably not a good idea.

Let me phrase it this way: What do you do with FOAF? Social Networks are
nice. But what do you do with it after the first hype? Are you regularly
checking people against your FOAF net? I think the point about FOAF is
not so much people checking people. FOAF is much more useful if your
software is automatically checking your contacts against the FOAF
network. Virtual Presence is an application that produces many contacts.
FOAF could qualify them. Virtual Presence and FOAF would make a great
team. Actually it is Virtual Presence and Social Networks in general. In
this case it's Jabber based VP and FOAF based SN.

hw
--
Dr. Klaus H. Wolf
bluehands GmbH & Co.mmunication KG