[rdfweb-dev] namespace versioning

Danny Ayers danny666 at virgilio.it
Wed Jul 28 18:35:08 UTC 2004

Ian Davis wrote:

> if http://purl.org/vocab/relationship/friendOf is declared owl:sameAs

A couple of handwaves on this - owl:sameAs seems quite a tricky thing,
especially in schemas/ontologies. For a start there's being sure of the
identity, that neither end will change, see danbert's comment at [1]
(I'm guessing this won't be a problem in this case). Also when applied
to classes it breaks the material out of OWL DL by treating the classes
as individuals. I'm fairly sure the effect as required (that instances
of the classes etc will be treated the same) is available with
owl:equivalentClass (or owl:equivalentProperty). What's more the same
can be done using just RDFS inference -  A subClassOf B AND B subClassOf
A gives you the same thing, though with clunkier notation. Even just
subClassing/subPropertying in one direction may allow the inferences needed.

Although sameness seems to be a monster logicwise, as has been suggested
hacking sameness-savvy into a parser should be pretty straightforward.
My guess is it would be more useful to do it at the level of terms
rather than namespaces. It should help versioning for a start - if some
of the terms aren't equivalent, you can leave 'em out.

Cheers,
Danny.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-interest/2004Jun/0149.html

--