[crschmid@uiuc.edu: Re: [rdfweb-dev] Foafer firefox extension]

Christopher Schmidt crschmid at uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 29 07:10:22 UTC 2004

Accidentally sent this to Danny, rather than the list. Sorry about that!

-- Chris

----- Forwarded message from Christopher Schmidt <crschmid at uiuc.edu> -----

From: Christopher Schmidt <crschmid at uiuc.edu>
To: danny at dannyayers.com
Subject: Re: [rdfweb-dev] Foafer firefox extension
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 18:18:31 -0400

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 07:52:28PM +0200, Danny Ayers wrote:
> Cool!
>
> It seems to have installed ok on Firefox 0.9.2, Win2k, and I can see
> grey foaflets, but they're not lighting up on any pages I tried.
> I do have the DOAP plugin installed as well (which works), but I have
> had one or two probs with FF - GoogleBar's not there for a (frustrating)
> start.

There is currently a bug in DOAPer which causes it to overwrite FOAFer's
icon: setting the icon to be greyed out no matter what. In some cases,
this may mean that you are unable to see the FOAFer icon light up.

(I borrowed most of my code from Joel, and forgot to change a FOAF to
DOAP in the CSS.)

> Just to check, is the following the preferred format for the link:
>
> <link rel="meta" type="application/rdf+xml" title="FOAF"
> href="http://dannyayers.com/misc/foaf/foaf.rdf" />

Yes, but currently FOAFer simply checks for URLs in the <a> tags of the
page for common FOAF URLs. I'm going to work with Joel to get that type
of autodetection into the next release so that people don't neccesarily
have to indicate FOAF visually ;)

page will work fine for the time being.

----- End forwarded message -----