[crschmid@uiuc.edu: Re: [rdfweb-dev] Foafer firefox extension]

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Thu Jul 29 10:45:35 UTC 2004

* Victor Lindesay <victor at schemaweb.info> [2004-07-29 10:39+0100]
> > > <link rel="meta" type="application/rdf+xml" title="FOAF"
> > > href="http://dannyayers.com/misc/foaf/foaf.rdf" />
>
> Support for this must be an essential requirement. It is a very popular
> way to link to FOAF (or RDF) in HTML.

Yep; it's the main way we find FOAF RDF from HTML pages. (From other
FOAF docs we use RDF conventions instead).

> > Yes, but currently FOAFer simply checks for URLs in the <a>
> > tags of the
> > page for common FOAF URLs.
>
> A bit fragile. What is a "common FOAF URL"?

Yes, too fragile. I could write HTML such as

	See my <a href="xyz">machine profile</a>
or 	Here's a document <a href="foaf">about foaf</a>

...and neither really gives machines enough to know what to expect.

The 'link rel' idiom is much more solid; any chance of Foafer supporting
it?