[crschmid@uiuc.edu: Re: [rdfweb-dev] Foafer firefox extension]

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Sat Jul 31 12:25:21 UTC 2004

Not quite sure how this could connect yet, but it seems Firefox
nightlies now offer RSS/Atom integration into the bookmarks system,
"live marks". I just grabbed nightly snapshot and when I visit
http://www.w3.org/ I see a lightning mark in the status bar to indicate
a feed. When I select that it adds a section to my bookmarks which is
populated with all the items in the RSS feed. There is also, it seems, a
more conventional feed-reader scheduled for inclusion in Thunderbird
(the news/mail reader for Mozilla).

http://blog.codefront.net/archives/2004/07/13/rss_feed_integration_in_firefox.php
http://blog.codefront.net/archives/2004/07/24/new_features_in_mozilla_thunderbird_08.php

Am wondering whether the new Firebird thingie could be hacked to read
FOAF files and add bookmark subsections based on People listed and their
feeds? eg. http://usefulinc.com/edd/notes/RDFBlogRoll
http://www.planetrdf.com/ ->
http://journal.dajobe.org/journal/2003/07/semblogs/bloggers.rdf
http://planet.gnome.org/ -> http://planet.gnome.org/foafroll.xml
http://planet.debian.net/foafroll.xml (currently illformed) etc.

Idea being that both on personal homepages, corporate homepages,
aggregators such as Planet RDF/Gnome/Debian etc., there could be a
linked RDF file that uses FOAF to describe 1 or more RSS/Atom feeds.
Sort of a hybrid of the new Firefox functionality and Foafer...

Sounds plausible?