[crschmid@uiuc.edu: Re: [rdfweb-dev] Foafer firefox extension]

Christopher Schmidt crschmid at uiuc.edu
Sat Jul 31 13:24:48 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 08:25:21AM -0400, Dan Brickley wrote:
> Not quite sure how this could connect yet, but it seems Firefox
> nightlies now offer RSS/Atom integration into the bookmarks system,
> "live marks". I just grabbed nightly snapshot and when I visit
> http://www.w3.org/ I see a lightning mark in the status bar to indicate
> a feed. When I select that it adds a section to my bookmarks which is
> populated with all the items in the RSS feed. There is also, it seems, a
> more conventional feed-reader scheduled for inclusion in Thunderbird
> (the news/mail reader for Mozilla).
>
> http://blog.codefront.net/archives/2004/07/13/rss_feed_integration_in_firefox.php
> http://blog.codefront.net/archives/2004/07/24/new_features_in_mozilla_thunderbird_08.php
>
> Am wondering whether the new Firebird thingie could be hacked to read
> FOAF files and add bookmark subsections based on People listed and their
> feeds? eg. http://usefulinc.com/edd/notes/RDFBlogRoll
> http://www.planetrdf.com/ ->
> http://journal.dajobe.org/journal/2003/07/semblogs/bloggers.rdf
> http://planet.gnome.org/ -> http://planet.gnome.org/foafroll.xml
> http://planet.debian.net/foafroll.xml (currently illformed) etc.
>
> Idea being that both on personal homepages, corporate homepages,
> aggregators such as Planet RDF/Gnome/Debian etc., there could be a
> linked RDF file that uses FOAF to describe 1 or more RSS/Atom feeds.
> Sort of a hybrid of the new Firefox functionality and Foafer...
>
> Sounds plausible?

What are your thoughts for the visual implementation of this? Something
along the lines of http://crschmidt.net/foaf/livemarks.jpg ? Then click
each name to add the LiveMark to your bookmarklets, I suppose?

(Sorry, I've been working with photoshop too much at work, and I had to
take the oppourtunity to play ;))

--
Christopher Schmidt
crschmidt at crschmidt.net