[crschmid@uiuc.edu: Re: [rdfweb-dev] Foafer firefox extension]

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Sat Jul 31 13:53:10 UTC 2004

* Christopher Schmidt <crschmid at uiuc.edu> [2004-07-31 09:24-0400]
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 08:25:21AM -0400, Dan Brickley wrote:
> > Not quite sure how this could connect yet, but it seems Firefox
> > nightlies now offer RSS/Atom integration into the bookmarks system,
> > "live marks". I just grabbed nightly snapshot and when I visit
> > http://www.w3.org/ I see a lightning mark in the status bar to indicate
> > a feed. When I select that it adds a section to my bookmarks which is
> > populated with all the items in the RSS feed. There is also, it seems, a
> > more conventional feed-reader scheduled for inclusion in Thunderbird
> > (the news/mail reader for Mozilla).
> >
> > http://blog.codefront.net/archives/2004/07/13/rss_feed_integration_in_firefox.php
> > http://blog.codefront.net/archives/2004/07/24/new_features_in_mozilla_thunderbird_08.php
> >
> > Am wondering whether the new Firebird thingie could be hacked to read
> > FOAF files and add bookmark subsections based on People listed and their
> > feeds? eg. http://usefulinc.com/edd/notes/RDFBlogRoll
> > http://www.planetrdf.com/ ->
> > http://journal.dajobe.org/journal/2003/07/semblogs/bloggers.rdf
> > http://planet.gnome.org/ -> http://planet.gnome.org/foafroll.xml
> > http://planet.debian.net/foafroll.xml (currently illformed) etc.
> >
> > Idea being that both on personal homepages, corporate homepages,
> > aggregators such as Planet RDF/Gnome/Debian etc., there could be a
> > linked RDF file that uses FOAF to describe 1 or more RSS/Atom feeds.
> > Sort of a hybrid of the new Firefox functionality and Foafer...
> >
> > Sounds plausible?
>
> What are your thoughts for the visual implementation of this? Something
> along the lines of http://crschmidt.net/foaf/livemarks.jpg ? Then click
> each name to add the LiveMark to your bookmarklets, I suppose?
>
> (Sorry, I've been working with photoshop too much at work, and I had to
> take the oppourtunity to play ;))

Just cross-referencing with the brief IRC chat we just had:

<danbri> loggerf, bookmark?
<loggerf> See
http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/discovery/chatlogs/foaf/2004-07-31#T13-50-50

Wondering what kinds of UI widget would be easy/feasible within Mozilla
framework. There a lot of things one could do, could very easily get too
complex.

multiple people (one of whom might be the PersonalProfileDocument'd
person), possible multiple weblogs mentioned (possible multiple per
person)...