[rdfweb-dev] isbn - rdf:about or IFP

Dirk-Willem van Gulik dirkx at asemantics.com
Wed Mar 3 08:50:22 UTC 2004

On Mar 3, 2004, at 4:08 AM, Masahide Kanzaki wrote:
> I'm considering to extract some book related information from XHTML,
> and
> interested in how to identify a book (and thought using <Book
> rdf:about="urn:isbn:...">).

You propably want to leave room for other identifiers; or really fall
back to 'any URI' is fine. ISBN in particular is a cumbersome choise
for some fields of sicence; as ISBN numbers are a) recycled* and b)
there is no-one keeping track of them in a consistent manner (though
there are not-for-profit and competing commercial entities which
compile lists  of sorts with various level of quality and consistency
which cover a fair chunk).  At a minumun also leaving at least some
room for ISSN numbers is good.

Dw

*: though increasingly this practice frowned upon (or outright
banned/policed by
     the country level registrars) - so it is generally only a problem
for older publications
     of very small publishers.