[rdfweb-dev] isbn - rdf:about or IFP

Masahide Kanzaki post at kanzaki.com
Wed Mar 3 11:10:49 UTC 2004

Hi, thank you very much for comment.

>ISBN in particular is a cumbersome choise
>for some fields of sicence; as ISBN numbers are a) recycled* and b)
>there is no-one keeping track of them in a consistent manner (though

Yes, true. We should carefully choose identifiers for books.

Here I regard ISBN as an identifier, after Leigh's rdfs:comment "assumes
that ISBNs never get reused" (and your comment "it is generally only a
problem for older publications"). Otherwise, it cannot be an IFP either.

What I'm wondering is whether a book can be directly identified via
rdf:about (isbn, issn, nbn, etc), or should be identified indirectly via
IFP...

cheers,