[rdfweb-dev] Extending a schema

Alex Kilpatrick AlexK at hcitraining.com
Mon Mar 8 20:50:04 UTC 2004

I am working on a schema to extend the definition of "Property" in rdf.
The idea is that if I can supply some additional metadata, then I can
use that metadata to automatically create a form to create instances of
that schema.  However, I am getting bogged down in some of the details.

So, as an example, I have a propert defined like this:

  <rdf:Property  rdf:about="http://purl.com/vhco/userinput/longname"
rdfs:comment="A longer name (2-3 words) for this property, for use in
headers">
  	<rdfs:domain
rdfresource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Property"/>
  	<rdfs:range
rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#Literal"/>
  </rdf:Property>

Now, if I want to add that to the schems for some existing ontology, I
want to do something like this:

  <rdf:Property rdf:about="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/mbox">
		<ui:longname>Primary Email Address</ui:longname>
  </rdf:Property>

Now, that validates fine, but when I look at the graph I see an extra
duplicated "type" edge bewteen mbox and "property"  Is that something I
should be worried about?  I assume it would not be proper to take the
existing FOAF.rdfs and add my stuff inline with it.

Thanks for your help.

Alex