[rdfweb-dev] Relationship Schema Updated

Ian Davis iand at internetalchemy.org
Fri Mar 12 16:56:30 UTC 2004

Eric Vitiello's relationship schema has a new home at
http://purl.org/vocab/relationship/

Eric and I have been working together over the last few weeks to
update this popular schema. We've fixed some issues and expanded the
vocabulary to incorporate many terms in use by the social network
engines. The main improvements are:

* A stable namespace for the terms in the schema:
  http://purl.org/vocab/relationship/

* A more comprehensive RDF schema incorporating appropriate OWL
  constructs such as symmetric and transitive properties.

* RDF and HTML representations for all individual terms in schema,
  e.g. http://purl.org/vocab/relationship/friendOf

* Many new properties to cover professional, personal and genealogical
  relationships.

* Examples of usage with FOAF and (X)HTML

The (X)HTML examples are quite interesting since they allow
relationships to be asserted between the authors of pages using rel
and rev attributes on links. This is similar to the XFN method but has
the advantage of having an RDF interpretation and use of a unified
vocabulary.

Ian

--
http://internetalchemy.org | http://purl.org/NET/iand