[rdfweb-dev] Relationship Schema Updated

Morten Frederiksen mof-rdf at mfd-consult.dk
Sat Mar 13 10:15:45 UTC 2004

'lo,

On Saturday 13 March 2004 07:09, Michael Bauser wrote:
> Data formats are no place for petty cultural bigotry.
I agree with your opinion, but not with your use of the language, it almost
made me not read what you had written.

For those that haven't, it seems the anthropologists have figured out, that
all kin-relationships can be defined with just eight terms: mother, father,
sister, brother, daughter, son, wife and husband.

Comparing with the relationship schema, it seems that
parentOf/childOf/siblingOf/spouseOf could be split into the genered
counterparts, but as we already have a separate gender property, it doesn't
seem necessary.

The properties grandchildOf/grandparentOf/descendantOf/ancestorOf could be
left out, as these can be described by introducing the intermediaries (as all
other kin-relationships can, e.g. uncle).

Aside from the mentioned properties, the rest of the schema deals with other
kinds of relationships, the "social" ones. These aren't exactly easier, but
at least that'll always be a matter of taste...

Regards,
Morten