[rdfweb-dev] Re: isbn - rdf:about or IFP

Dan Brickley danbri at w3.org
Sat Mar 13 12:30:42 UTC 2004

* Norman Walsh <ndw at nwalsh.com> [2004-03-12 17:46+0000]
> / Masahide Kanzaki <post at kanzaki.com> was heard to say:
> | Here I regard ISBN as an identifier, after Leigh's rdfs:comment "assumes
> | that ISBNs never get reused" (and your comment "it is generally only a
> | problem for older publications"). Otherwise, it cannot be an IFP either.
>
> It is a simple, sad matter of fact that publishers do reuse ISBN numbers.

I asked about this in a thread on the Z39.50 list recently, since the
ISBN spec is being updated.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-zig/2004Mar/0003.html

It seems the spec is clear that re-use is an error, so ISBNs _are_ IFP
and data that fails to resspect that is just plain wrong. I suggest
anyone creating ISBN RDF properties define them as IFP, rather than give
in to bad practice (hmm reminds me of the XML escaping discussions...).