[rdfweb-dev] Re: Prefixed rel attribut value (Re:Relationship Schema Updated)

Ian Davis iand at internetalchemy.org
Sat Mar 13 14:43:46 UTC 2004

Hi Masahide,

On Saturday, March 13, 2004, 2:09:55 PM, Masahide Kanzaki wrote:
> I'm thinking about using prefixed value for rel attribute like
> "rel.childOf", with a link element to map prefix and namespace (schema) uri
> in the same manner as Dublin Core:

> <link rel="schema.rel"
> href="http://purl.org/vocabulary/relationship/"/>

> ...snip...
> It would also be worth considering "QName" rel value such as "rel:childOf",
> while "rel.childOf" style might be a little bit better because there is
> already a standardized way to map it to schema uri.

I saw some discussion on another list (maybe rdf-in-xhtml?) around
using the full URI in the rel attribute, e.g.

<a rel="http://purl.org/relationship/friendOf" href="foo">...</a>

It's a bit verbose but unambiguous. For the sake of readibility the
plain friendOf or maybe rel.friendOf (with appropriate link tag) would
be better. I'm open to allowing the prefixed form and can write up
guidelines for it if there's a demand for it.

Ian

--
http://internetalchemy.org | http://purl.org/NET/iand